MyEnergi LifestyleTM shows how a typical American family can significantly reduce their electricity bills and CO2 footprint by integrating today’s smart home appliances, plug-in vehicles and solar energy. MyEnergi Lifestyle works by leveraging technology so key energy-consuming devices in a home use less energy, while also shifting energy usage to less expensive periods. At night, for example, when energy costs are lower, a smart refrigerator can perform high-energy tasks like ice making or defrosting – just as Ford’s plug-in vehicles do with recharging.
By switching to MyEnergi Lifestyle, families can cut energy costs by up to 60 percent and more than 9,000 kg of CO2 (a 55 percent reduction) saved. If every home in the U.S. were to implement these energy-saving technologies, it would be the equivalent of taking all the homes in California, New York and Texas – 32 million homes – off the power grid.
Key factors driving MyEnergi Lifestyle include:
- Electric vehicles, like the all-new Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, are more efficient and can charge during the low-cost electricity hours
- Appliance efficiency has improved dramatically over the past decade
- Hot water heaters are more efficient and use nighttime electricity
- Connected appliances can use less energy during peak periods
- Efficient, reliable and affordable rooftop solar systems enable families to generate renewable energy and save money on utility bills
- Connected devices enable smarter use of energy
- In addition to the energy benefits directly received from the latest product offerings from Ford, Eaton, SunPower and Whirlpool, the widespread deployment of smart meters (now in more than 40 million homes across the U.S.) enables households to take advantage of off-peak rates.